Browsing Camille Styles earlier this week I stumbled upon a feature of "dark & moody" living spaces. While my current apartment is more like "tan & colorful", I can certainly see the practical yet glamorous appeal of an inkier palette. In particular, this "black on black" living room designed by Cathy Echols. Imagine my surprise when I clicked through to the original source and discovered that this space was in Houston! And in a building I've been inside! Who woulda thunk it. I never would have thought I could live in a place with black walls in every. single. room. but this high rise has me singing a different tune. Check it out, along with my favorite features, below:
- Little to no fear of spilling (hurrah!)
- Contrast for days - black vs. white, black vs. metals, black. vs. COLOR
- Metallics - they take on a whole new level when placed against an all black background
- Oversized everything - artwork, geodes, statues, vases, lamps...
- Did I mention GEODES?!?
- Charcoal gray textiles
- Canopy bed with actual drapes - close me right in, thankyousomuch (as long as there's a fan inside)
- Sisal rugs
- Asian influence (coffee table, bedroom armoire, trunk under TV)
- Glass/lucite (accent tables, sphere objets, den & dining room light fixture, coffee table)
- Monkeys! Just kidding, they freak me out (too much like humans). But I do like the understated painting in the dining room. It's not monkey enough to actually scare me.
Basically I like everything! If I had to pick and could only take one thing, it would have to be either the Asian trunk or the white geode lamp. Or the massive geode on the coffee table. Geodes for life! Maybe if I crack enough rocks I'll discover one on my own. Worth a shot.
What's your favorite room/furniture/accessory in this space? Could you live somewhere dark & moody or do you prefer light & bright? I think I need two houses so I can have one of each.